On 27th October 2011, the University Philosophical Society of Trinity College Dublin held a debate on the motion that ‘This House Believes That Scientology Is As Legitimate As Any Other Religion’.
The speakers were as follows:
1. First proposition was Oisín Brogan Sch., JS engineering student and ex-Pro-DC of the society.
2. First opposition was Matthew McKenna, a prominent Irish anti-scientology activist.
3. Second proposition was Mike Rinder, former chief spokesperson of the Church of Scientology. Mike Rinder left the Church in 2007 and is now an independent scientologist.
4. Second opposition was Glen Rogers, JS law student, ex-Pro-Librarian and current Treasurer of the society.
5. Third proposition was Derwin Brennan, who is currently studying for an MA in law in TCD.
6. Third opposition was John Duignan, who was part of the Church of Scientology for 22 years before leaving the religion. Mr. Duignan is now a prominent speaker against scientology and an undergraduate in UCC.
7. Fourth proposition was Michael Nugent, Chair of Atheist Ireland.
8. Fourth opposition was Ricky McCormack, JS Drama & Theatre Studies student and Registrar of the society.